Basque Country Prayer Points for Week of November 28, 2022
Prayer Points and verse for the week:
- Violence against women has seen a 14% increase over the last year. This information was shared in the lead up to International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women on November 25. A call center has already received ~2500 calls this year from women requesting help.
- Pray for women, children, families and men impacted by these actions.
- Currently ~80 minors are needing a foster home in Gipuzkoa. There are already ~380 in foster homes.
- Pray for those who are in foster care and those still needing to be placed with a family.
- A shortage of ~5000 skilled workers for Basque businesses such as plumbing, bakeries and construction are having a hard time finding trained workers. While others workers trained in fabrication, industrial robots and computing are having a hard time finding employment. A general concern exists with an aging population and not enough births the labor shortages will worsen.
- Pray for those businesses needing workers and those looking for work.
- Since 2015 the percentage of young people that want to have kids has been decreasing, with a 17.8% drop in the last 7 years. The reasons noted for the decrease are economic insecurity, culture changes and social priorities. Additionally, COVID-19 added to the uncertainty of them wanting to bring kids into this world.
- Pray for those who are trying to determine if they want to have a child.
- The debate about how Basque Country and Catalonia relate to Spain is a topic that will likely be put on the legislative calendar for 2024. Leaders from both regions believe now is the time to once again have conversation.
- Pray for political leaders as they look to determine how these regions interact with Spain, the EU and the world.
- In Gipuzkoa the number of homes that have been built for the different social programs are at historic lows. To address this shortage, plans are being made to start construction on 500 new homes before the end of the year.
- Pray for those who are building them and those who are needing to find affordable housing
The verse for the week:
Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.